To many people, pets are family members. These furry companions play such a pivotal role in our daily lives, which is why millions of families open their homes to these four-legged friends. That’s why there’s nothing quite as devastating as a missing pet. We regularly receive questions about finding lost pets in West Des Moines, IA, and we want to do everything we can to help bring your dog or cat home.
Five steps for finding a lost pet
We get so many calls asking to find my pet in West Des Moines, IA, and we sympathize with each person that gets in touch with us. We’ve been there. We know how stressful it is when a pet wanders off and the frustration of not knowing if he or she is safe.
Fortunately, there are many tools and tips you can use to reunite with your favorite furry friend. When it comes to locating your missing pet, don’t skimp, and instead follow each one of these steps:
- Scour your neighborhood: If your pet got out of your house or yard, you want to comb every part of your neighborhood. You want to regularly walk around your house and the surrounding area to look for your pet at different times throughout the day. Take a leash or carrier so you will be ready to restrain your pet if you are able to track him or her down. Enlist family members, friends and neighbors to look as well, working in shifts if possible.
- Print posters and handouts: Create both posters and flyers. Hang posters in your neighborhood, on any community boards, at gas stations, convenience stores, libraries, vet offices, shelters, rescues, at our facility and anywhere else you can imagine. Keep flyers with you while you’re out looking, too. These printed materials should include your missing pet’s name, features, any special needs, the place he or she was last seen and your direct contact information. If you are offering a reward, which we highly recommend, include that in bright, bold lettering.
- Talk to people: Mention your missing pet to anyone who will listen. The handouts make it easier to approach people about your missing pet. Plus, if they have something in their hands to take with them, they are more likely to remember to keep an eye out for your pet.
- Post on social media: These digital platforms are perfect for getting the word out to help find your pet in West Des Moines, IA. Include as much information as possible about your missing pet, with clear photos. Geotag every post so people in the area will see your pictures. Look for and publish posts on local groups on Facebook for lost pets. Don’t forget to let neighbors know via NextDoor.
- Connect with local rescues and shelters: Check with every local shelter and rescue group. Remain in touch with them along with sharing all of the necessary information about your pet. Check in with them daily until you are reunited with your pet.
We wish everyone the best of luck as they work to bring home their lost pets in West Des Moines, IA. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have questions about bringing your lost pet home. We’re happy to help!